The end of extended support for Windows 8.1 is still quite long term on January 10, 2023. But now, you can update to the Windows 10 October 2020 Update version (20H2) for free.
Like Windows 7, Windows 8.1 will gradually become vulnerable without the support of applications and programs that will become unusable. However, Microsoft offers the option to update Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free, saving the system's activation state.
The old and well-known way to update using the «Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant» tool still works but installs Windows 10 (version 1709).
Recently, a new method of upgrading to Windows 10 October 2020 Update version (20H2) with Media Creation Tool has appeared. In this case, the new system will also be automatically activated with a digital license.
Note. If you're a licensed user of the Windows 8.1 operating system, you can upgrade to modern Windows 10 for free. Let's look at how to do this:
Free update Windows 8.1 to Windows 10Important. To begin with, back up the system in case of various problems. For example, the incompatibility of outdated drivers or other troubles.
1. Download the new version of Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, run and accept the license agreement.
2. Next select Update this computer now.
3. Wait for the utility to download all the necessary files, check your computer for compatibility and download all the necessary updates. This may take some time depending on the speed of your internet connection.
4. Make sure to save personnel files and apps, and click Install.
5. Installation can take several hours, especially if your equipment is not powerful enough.
Once the update is complete, Windows 10 October 2020 Update version (20H2) will be installed.
I'd like to remind you that all Windows 8.1 OEM keys owners can do Clean Installation of Windows 10 and activate for free.
Follow the activation procedure in the application Settings > Update and Security > Activation > Change Product Key.